The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


If I am renting - can I still accomodate my Russian friend in the UK?

0 votes
Hello and thank you first of all - this was one of the most helpful answers I have come across so far with regards to writing an invitation. I wondered if you could help me with another question that relates to a similar situation...
I am a British citizen and would like to invite my Russian friend over for a holiday. I would be more than happy to accomodate her during her stay. Now, the question is - if I am renting, am I still allowed to do that? There is nothing in the contract to say that I can't - as long as the person is not paying, they should be fine to stay over. The landlord does not live at the property, so there is generally no problem with guests being in the house, crashing overnight if needed etc. The is a big comfortable sofa in the living room just for that purpose.
So, if that is generally acceptable, would I need some sort of official confirmation from the landlord to send along with my invitation letter? Or would a copy of the tenancy agreement be sufficient to prove, that my friend can indeed stay with me during her visit?
Also, if I am hosting her - does that necessarily mean I need to sponsor her? If she proves she has enough funds to provide for herself - do I need to send any additional proof of my funds as well? Or would it be best to send that anyway, just in case?
Your advise would be very much appreciated.
asked Jun 8, 2016 in Russian Visa by Ionessi (120 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.