The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Russian visa when Couchsurfing?

+1 vote

We want to go to Russia this summer, but we only have a little money, so we decided to get hosted by CS members.
Maybe you know this site: http://www.couchsurfing.org, the main idea is described in the "About" section.
So you can sleep at strangers' houses for free. We're not worrying about serial killers or something, just a question:
We can get visas and invitation letters, but what about registration? who should give us that? (We're planning to stay only about 3 nigths at each host).
Thank you for your help.
asked Mar 5, 2015 in Russian Visa by esztier (170 points)

1 Answer

+2 votes
Best answer
Your host is responsible to register your Russian visa, according to the law. It's very easy to do for them: they just need to take a copy of your passport and an original of theirs to any post office and fill out a special registration form available there, pay a fee (150R = €2) and it's done.

More info is available on here: http://waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Registration.html

You have 7 days to do that since the date of your arrival. If you're lucky, the first host might register you for the duration of the whole trip, then you won't have to repeat the process, unless you're traveling to another city where you're staying for longer than 7 days.
answered Mar 5, 2015 by WayToRussia (3,930 points)
selected Mar 5, 2015 by esztier