The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


By a car in Novosibirsk

0 votes
My name is tom I'm from Israel planning to came Novosibirsk in 10.8 and want to buy a car to explore the region Altai and from there across Mongolia. Is it possibility to buy and register car for foreigners in Russia? What documents do you need? Is there someone in Novosibirsk who want to help me buy a car?
Thank you.
asked Jul 21, 2015 in Transport by Tom Noyman (160 points)

3 Answers

+1 vote
Hi Tom,
My name is Andrew. I am from Novosibirsk. I can say that Altay mountains are really great! I can suggest you "must see" places if you interested.
About the car. I think it is not a problem to buy a car, especially used one. But the problem is in proper registration in road police.
I can try to figure out using google what needs to be done to register a car by foreigner. But please don't expect I can give you complete answer on your question.
Probably it would be easier to rent a car.
answered Jul 22, 2015 by lukomor (350 points)
+1 vote
Here is what I googled.
To buy the car you only need passport and a contract with seller.
To register the car in a road police you should have a temporary residence permit. This is a key thing. Once you have temporary residence permit, contract, insurance, driving license and passport you can get temporary car registration.
It is allowed driving without registration only for 10 days in Russia.
answered Jul 22, 2015 by lukomor (350 points)
0 votes
Hi Andrew,
thank you very much,
Do you know if i can buy and register a car on my name in the license? So I can drive it for 10 days and then cross the border to Mongolia.
answered Aug 3, 2015 by Tom Noyman (160 points)