The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
 

Way to Russia Community and Forum


If you have a question or want to help someone, please, go to
Way to Russia Forum on our Facebook page.
 
We also invite you to join our Facebook community, where you can meet other travelers and read interesting news on topics ranging from visa regulations to culture and music.
 

 

We are currently moving the old forum to Facebook, so what you see below functions as an archive.

If you have a question, please, post it on
Way to Russia Facebook Discussions Page


 

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ChatChat   Log inLog in 

Drinking phrases
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Way to Russia Talk Lounge Forum Index -> Practise Your Russian
Author Message
Shedite
Just Starting


Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Drinking phrases Reply with quote

Anybody know any russian phrases to be said before drinking. Stuff like "Cheers" etc. Where I'm from, Irleland, we use "Sláinnte" (translates as "to health"). Something like that.
Back to top
Oleg
Frequent Guest


Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 50
Location: St-Petersburg, Russia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Drinking phrases Reply with quote

Shedite wrote:
Anybody know any russian phrases to be said before drinking. Stuff like "Cheers" etc. Where I'm from, Irleland, we use "Sláinnte" (translates as "to health"). Something like that.


Of course, there are as many phrases as you can contrive. Ex. "to health" - "za zdorovje", "to us" - "za nas", "to women" - "za zhenschin" and many others. Before you drink you usually say what you want to wish somebody (or even yourself Very Happy ).
Back to top
derek
Just Starting


Joined: 28 Jun 2003
Posts: 7
Location: India

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"за женщин!" =) Пейте за них ...! Exclamation : )
Back to top
UsualSuspect
WayToRussified


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 324
Location: The Land of Oz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: And... Reply with quote

Pey Dadna = "drink to the bottom".....one of my personal faves....bad transliteration of course and it's said "pay dad-na"


Usualsuspect
Back to top
Stanislav
Frequent Guest


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 25
Location: St. Petersburg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: More drinking variety Reply with quote

You can try different ones, depending on the situation. Actually, Russians always say something before drinking, and drinking without a toast can even have a special meaning: remembering the dead. Most somple phrases would be "za ...", you can fill the gap with something from a dictionary. For example, "za udachu" - for luck. As a joke some can use a "new Russians' toast" - "za nas, za vas, za gas" (for us, for you, for gas).
Back to top
AntoMax
Frequent Guest


Joined: 15 Mar 2006
Posts: 48
Location: Matrix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"за женщин!" =) Пейте за них ...!
Back to top
Peter80
Lounge Lizard


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 97
Location: St-Petersburg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

За знакомство! = For meeting(for getting to know each other), when you first meet people;

За встречу! = For meeting(encounter), when you meet somebody you know;

Будем! = Let us be! Just an optimistic toast for life;

Ваше здоровье! = For your health!

За тех, кто уже не с нами! = For those, who are not with us anymore(dead);

За прекрасных дам! = For beautiful ladies!

На этой прекрасной ноте разрешите откланяться,
Have fun!
Smile
Back to top
AlexMSQ
Just Starting


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Location: Donetsk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember also Rogozhkin's films.

"The toast must be short and substantial. Like a shot. No time for rest else way."

With those toasts: for meeting, for health, for justice (за справелливость)
Back to top
norge95
Lounge Lizard


Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: More drinking variety Reply with quote

Stanislav wrote:
You can try different ones, depending on the situation. Actually, Russians always say something before drinking, and drinking without a toast can even have a special meaning: remembering the dead. Most somple phrases would be "za ...", you can fill the gap with something from a dictionary. For example, "za udachu" - for luck. As a joke some can use a "new Russians' toast" - "za nas, za vas, za gas" (for us, for you, for gas).

I'm sometimes invited to have dinner with Russian families and was wondering if "za zdorovje" would perhaps be the best toast to use. Also could someone help me a little with how would pronounce this toast.

"Spasibo!"


Last edited by norge95 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
nikir
Frequent Guest


Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: More drinking variety Reply with quote

norge95 wrote:
Stanislav wrote:
You can try different ones, depending on the situation. Actually, Russians always say something before drinking, and drinking without a toast can even have a special meaning: remembering the dead. Most somple phrases would be "za ...", you can fill the gap with something from a dictionary. For example, "za udachu" - for luck. As a joke some can use a "new Russians' toast" - "za nas, za vas, za gas" (for us, for you, for gas).

I'm sometimes invited to have dinner with Russian families here in San Diego and was wondering if "za zdorovje" would perhaps be the best toast to use. Also could someone help me a little with how would pronounce this toast.

"Spasibo!"


That's a pretty safe one that you can't go wrong with. I'ts pronounced with the stress on the O.
Back to top
nikir
Frequent Guest


Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry the second O
Back to top
norge95
Lounge Lizard


Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikir wrote:
Sorry the second O


"Spasibo" for your reply. So would it be pronounced something like this?

za do-ROV-ya
Back to top
norge95
Lounge Lizard


Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: And... Reply with quote

UsualSuspect wrote:
Pey Dadna = "drink to the bottom".....one of my personal faves....bad transliteration of course and it's said "pay dad-na"


I'm guessing that this would be a good one to use after you have already had a few rounds of drinks. Very Happy
Back to top
nikir
Frequent Guest


Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norge95 wrote:
nikir wrote:
Sorry the second O


"Spasibo" for your reply. So would it be pronounced something like this?

za do-ROV-ya


That's right. You can use it anytime. It just means "for health"
Back to top
nikir
Frequent Guest


Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
za do-ROV-ya


za zda-ROV-ya if you want to be absolutely correct
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Way to Russia Talk Lounge Forum Index -> Practise Your Russian All times are GMT + 3 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2