The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


What do I put in the visa support form under accommodations if I am coming ashore from a cruise line?

0 votes
We are arriving in St. Petersburg via Cruise line.  I would like the freedom of exploring St. Petersburg without 200 of my cruise-line pals.  When applying for the visa support, it requests a hotel name, and your advice says to list whatever hotel we want to, but I am concerned that this might be different if approaching from the dock side.   Also, do we have to schedule a tour with a licensed agent to get the visa or will the support document be enough?

asked Feb 7, 2016 in Russian Visa by Sarah Utter (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
You will need to apply for a tourist visa to be able to explore the city independently. The good thing about the support letter services is that you are not bound to any hotel (you just can select any hotel from the list and then decide where you are going to stay).
answered May 18, 2016 by marumu (1,900 points)