The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Russian Visa Registration - Staying in hotels + friend's house

+1 vote
Hi, I'm quite confused about the whole visa registration process. I'm planning on taking two friends to Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Irkutsk and Moscow in June - the whole trip will most likely last around 16-17 days. One of them is a UK citizen, another is a citizen of Hong Kong. In Vladivostok, Khabarovsk and Irkutsk we plan to stay at hotels - in Moscow, on the other hand, they'll be staying at a friend's house.

Would it be necessary to register them if they're staying at a friend's house in Moscow for longer than 7 days? If so, where should they be registered?

Are there any loopholes in this process? Does they need private visas in this case? Or can they get tourist visas and still stay at a friend's house when they get to Moscow?
asked Apr 5, 2015 in Russian Visa by George Istigechev (130 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Hi George,

Your friends can register them for as long as they wish, 7 days or longer. Any type of visa is OK, and yes, they can stay on their tourist visas at your friend's house in Moscow. The whole process is that the landlord (who has "propiska") just goes to the post office with their own passport and the copies of passports (and visas) of your friends, to the post office and registers them there. More info on http://waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Registration.html
answered Apr 9, 2015 by admin (5,930 points)