The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Russian tourist registration in private flat

+2 votes
I have a friend from the UK coming to visit me for 5 days in Russia. He will stay with me in the flat
that I rent from a Russian lady (through airbnb). I am registered at a university address where I stayed for the first few nights of my trip here (I am also from UK), 5 minutes' walk from the flat that I'm living in.
1) Does my friend have to register at all if he is here for only 5 days?
If yes, how? As I'm not Russian, I can't register him.

2) Also, what address should he write on his invitation letter and visa application? The address of the flat he is staying in with me? Or just choose any hotel in the city?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
asked Apr 5, 2015 in Russian Visa by meg653 (140 points)
edited Apr 13, 2015 by admin

2 Answers

+1 vote
1) No, you only need to register if you're staying longer than 7 working days. If he had to register, he'd have to ask the landlord of the apartment that you're renting go to the post office with her own and a copy of her passport, fill out the form, and submit it to immigration authorities. Although not every landlord will want to do that (simply because it takes time, not because it's too difficult). So an alternative is to contact the company that issued Russian visa support and ask them to do the registration (they usually charge about $20 for that, at the post office directly it costs about $5, so you could offer the landlord extra $15 for example)

2) The visa application should have exactly the same information as in the visa support documents. So if the visa support documents list a hotel, then the visa application should also have the hotel listed.
answered Apr 13, 2015 by admin (5,930 points)
+1 vote
If your guest is in Russia less than 7 working days and live in private apartments, you can not register his visa. When leaving the Russian visa registration is no longer required.
answered Apr 17, 2015 by Светлана Пласкеева (240 points)