The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Business or Tourist visa

+1 vote
Hello,  I am attending a conference in June for an oral presentation. I am currently a student, and I am wondering if I should apply for a tourist visa or a business one?
Thanks a lot.
asked Apr 14, 2015 in Russian Visa by sareh00 (160 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
I guess if it's for a conference then it should be a business visa. If you try to get a tourist visa you will need to say in the application form that the purpose of your trip is "tourism" otherwise they'll ask you to apply for a business visa instead. But, I guess you will also be going to Russia for tourism as you will see the sights and attractions, so a tourist visa in this case could also be fine.
answered Apr 15, 2015 by demleedz (1,400 points)