Feed aggregator

Answered: Entry to Russia with a car from a friend.

Hi Falk, Berlin is great! And the weather is super nice these days :)

Regarding your question: you should get the car documents, the driver's license, and car insurance valid in Russia. The insurance might be available at the border, but this is not 100% sure, so I'd double check once you're in Ulan-Bataar — maybe some agency there can provide it for you. Also, yes, you will need a document from your friend confirming that he lets you use his car to go to Russia. In Russian it's called "Generalnaya Doverennost'" or Генеральная Доверенность. This will prove to be a bit more complicated, but if I were you, I'd go to a notary office in Mongolia and ask them to provide this paper to you and to explain where you need it. You need to find a good notary who has experience with these cases, so they do everything right. Then you just get a Russian translation, as well as the translation of the car's technical documents and certificate into Russian (you could do all this at once). And then, yes, you can travel to Russia. Get a membership from some car association like ADAC just in case and ask if they have any partners in Siberia.

Answered: If I stay on cruise ship at St Petes for 3 days do I need single or multiple entry visa to visit each day?

You might not be able to enter Russia on a separate visa if you're on a cruise ship as they have some special regulation that you can only enter Russia on a visa obtained through the cruise company. Why don't you tell them you join the tours and then just go do your own stuff when in Russia?

Answered: How do I travel the Trans-Siberian railway from Beijing to Moscow with longer stopovers and visas?

Hi Erik,

It's a great journey that you want to undertake!

All the information about the Russian visa is available on http://waytorussia.net/Travel/VisaSupport.html

Generally, you can do the trip on a 30-day tourist visa, but you can also get a business visa, which is basically the same thing but extended (you can get it for 3 months and double-entry also). Both business and tourist visa take about 2 weeks to get once at the consulate but the business visa may be slightly more expensive. Also, the invitation for a tourist visa is issued in only 1 day while the invitation for a business visa might take about 2 weeks. I'd go with the business visa if I were you as it's more flexible, although a bit more expensive and longer to wait for.  You don't need to book any hotels for any of those visas, the visa support themselves is like a preliminary booking, but you don't need to stay at the hotels listed there.

And yes, you can apply from Australia, especially if it's a business visa that you try to get.

Finally, regarding the stopover in Mongolia, definitely go for it! You might be able to get a cheaper train from Ulan-Bataar to Irkutsk or Ulan-Ude (a nice city to stop by in as well!) and if not you can always take a bus!