The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Duration of visit to Russia

+1 vote
Hello. I am a retired British passport holder and my partner whom I hope to marry in 2018 is a Russian citizen currently living in Russia. It is my intention to visit in January 2018 and stay with my future wife for a minimum period of one month.  Afterwards I would like to visit some friends who live in other cities in Russia which would extend my overall visit to Russia for up to three months.
 What I am not clear on reading your guide is the following.

1] As a UK retired citizen do I still qualify for a visa.

2] What type of visa do I apply for which will give me the facility of having up to three months in Russia as a visitor/tourist. I will NOT be on business of any kind.

I would appreciate your feedback as quickly as possible please direct to my email address.
Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Yours sincerely, Peter Machin.
asked Oct 3, 2017 in Russian Visa by Peter Machin. (130 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Yes you need a visa and you can get it using your wife's private invitation. Then you can extend it in Moscow once you marry.
answered Oct 6, 2017 by Ivan Stepanenko (2,730 points)