The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Which name to use when purchasing plane ticket to Russia?

+1 vote
Recently found out I have dual citizenship (after being adopted), and just applied for a new Russian travel passport (10yr), I think, it is.... So, I understand, you show American passport to leave the US, and the Russian passport when you arrive in Moscow. However, which name do I purchase my ticket with because my American passport has my married name; the new Russian passport has my adoptive name because the consulate made it do it that way, despite, asking for, and me, providing them with a marriage certificate - so my two names don't match on the passports. Will I have a problem leaving Russia? and what name do I use for the ticket? (I may also be flying to Thailand directly from Moscow....) and then home to the US, so I'm not worried about Thailand.... but more about getting out of Russia. Please, and thank you!
asked Dec 24, 2019 in Transport by allig06 (160 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Well, basically your question is about showing the passport to the airline, because they are the only ones who care. In that case you will just show the both passports and probably better you buy your ticket on your American passport. So then you show the Russian one only at the border control and when you arrive or leave they just ask you where you came from but don't ask you to show the tickets.
answered Dec 24, 2019 by Ivan Stepanenko (2,730 points)