The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Traveling to Russia on work visa for personal purposes

+1 vote

I am an American citizen and I have valid 3 year multiple entry work Russian visa, which was sponsored by the company I worked for. I am still with the company, but on an extended leave (left Russia more than a year ago). Can I come to Russia on this visa but for traveling purposes and to visit my friend? Will I have problems when entering/leaving the country?

Thank you,
asked May 18, 2015 in Russian Visa by Yanaonaya (130 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Usually this should not be a problem if you still have your 3-year multiple entry work visa that is still valid. However, you should be aware that if and when immigration agents (in any country) ask about the purpose of your visit, they expect to hear the same information as specified on the visa itself.
answered May 19, 2015 by admin (5,930 points)