The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Will a tourist letter be needed?

+1 vote
Thanks for your help. My wife and children will be staying in my wife's parents apartment. Will a tourist invitation be needed? Thank you.
related to an answer for: Which type of visas will my children need?
asked Mar 22, 2019 in Russian Visa by Travel75 (160 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
You have an option to ask your wife's parents to make a private invitation, but that takes a long time to process and you'll probably need the original posted to you. So if you want to save time, they can simply get the tourist invitation. Then they can also stay at your wife's parents apartment. Your wife's parents will need to register their visas (at any post office with the passports of the guests) if they are in Russia for more than 7 working days. That's it.
answered Mar 28, 2019 by Ivan Stepanenko (2,730 points)