The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.
  • Register
Welcome to Way To Russia Q&A Talk Lounge where you can get help about Russian visa, trains, travel and any other information you need from our community. For a faster response, you can contact us on Twitter using @waytorussia.

This free independent travel guide to Russia exists thanks to the commission we get when you order these endorsed third-party services or when you buy our book. Please, support us!


Get Our Book:

Our 780-page PDF e-book includes all the essential info you need while you're in Russia. Take it with you on your phone, computer or USB stick.

• Moscow & St. Petersburg guides
• Off-the-beaten track locations
• Getting a Russian visa with no ties
• Traveling Trans-Siberian on the budget
• Russian alphabet and phrasebook
• 200 pages on Russian culture and customs

or learn more about the book...


Entry to Russia with a car from a friend.

+2 votes
Hello, my name is Falk. I live in Berlin/Germany. In summer I want to travel from Ulan Bator to Lake Baikal by a car from a Mongolian friend of mine. What are the requirements at the Mongolia/Russia border in Kyachta? I assume, that - besides of the usual documents - I'll have to present a warrant issued by my friend. Saying that he gave me the car voluntarily to travel to Lake Baikal and back. The warrant should be in Russian, I assume. Do I have to provide a certified translation? anything else? Thanks and bye and looking for your response. Falk
asked May 12, 2019 in Transport by falk.schaefer (150 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
Hi Falk, Berlin is great! And the weather is super nice these days :)

Regarding your question: you should get the car documents, the driver's license, and car insurance valid in Russia. The insurance might be available at the border, but this is not 100% sure, so I'd double check once you're in Ulan-Bataar — maybe some agency there can provide it for you. Also, yes, you will need a document from your friend confirming that he lets you use his car to go to Russia. In Russian it's called "Generalnaya Doverennost'" or Генеральная Доверенность. This will prove to be a bit more complicated, but if I were you, I'd go to a notary office in Mongolia and ask them to provide this paper to you and to explain where you need it. You need to find a good notary who has experience with these cases, so they do everything right. Then you just get a Russian translation, as well as the translation of the car's technical documents and certificate into Russian (you could do all this at once). And then, yes, you can travel to Russia. Get a membership from some car association like ADAC just in case and ask if they have any partners in Siberia.
answered May 12, 2019 by Ivan Stepanenko (2,730 points)