Talk Lounge Most Recent Questions

Subscribe to Talk Lounge Most Recent Questions feed
Powered by Question2Answer
Updated: 12 hours 49 min ago

Answered: Do I need a visa if I take the train from Helsinki just for the day

Wed, 09/25/2019 - 14:31
Hi, yes, you need a visa even in this case. If you just want to visit for one day a better option might be to take a cruise boat from Helsinki to St. Petersburg. Then they will arrange a special no-visa travel, which is available to the cruise passengers.

Answered: Entry to Russia with a car from a friend.

Sun, 05/12/2019 - 15:29
Hi Falk, Berlin is great! And the weather is super nice these days :)

Regarding your question: you should get the car documents, the driver's license, and car insurance valid in Russia. The insurance might be available at the border, but this is not 100% sure, so I'd double check once you're in Ulan-Bataar — maybe some agency there can provide it for you. Also, yes, you will need a document from your friend confirming that he lets you use his car to go to Russia. In Russian it's called "Generalnaya Doverennost'" or Генеральная Доверенность. This will prove to be a bit more complicated, but if I were you, I'd go to a notary office in Mongolia and ask them to provide this paper to you and to explain where you need it. You need to find a good notary who has experience with these cases, so they do everything right. Then you just get a Russian translation, as well as the translation of the car's technical documents and certificate into Russian (you could do all this at once). And then, yes, you can travel to Russia. Get a membership from some car association like ADAC just in case and ask if they have any partners in Siberia.

Answered: If I stay on cruise ship at St Petes for 3 days do I need single or multiple entry visa to visit each day?

Sun, 05/12/2019 - 15:25
You might not be able to enter Russia on a separate visa if you're on a cruise ship as they have some special regulation that you can only enter Russia on a visa obtained through the cruise company. Why don't you tell them you join the tours and then just go do your own stuff when in Russia?

Answered: How do I travel the Trans-Siberian railway from Beijing to Moscow with longer stopovers and visas?

Sun, 05/12/2019 - 15:24
Hi Erik,

It's a great journey that you want to undertake!

All the information about the Russian visa is available on

Generally, you can do the trip on a 30-day tourist visa, but you can also get a business visa, which is basically the same thing but extended (you can get it for 3 months and double-entry also). Both business and tourist visa take about 2 weeks to get once at the consulate but the business visa may be slightly more expensive. Also, the invitation for a tourist visa is issued in only 1 day while the invitation for a business visa might take about 2 weeks. I'd go with the business visa if I were you as it's more flexible, although a bit more expensive and longer to wait for.  You don't need to book any hotels for any of those visas, the visa support themselves is like a preliminary booking, but you don't need to stay at the hotels listed there.

And yes, you can apply from Australia, especially if it's a business visa that you try to get.

Finally, regarding the stopover in Mongolia, definitely go for it! You might be able to get a cheaper train from Ulan-Bataar to Irkutsk or Ulan-Ude (a nice city to stop by in as well!) and if not you can always take a bus!

Answered: Can I get my visa for Russia from a travel bureau in another country?

Thu, 03/28/2019 - 07:28
Sure, you can get your visa in Tallin too. They will probably make the invitation for you and then take your documents to submit them directly to the Russian embassy, so it works exactly the same way as if you did it on your own, you just pay a premium.

By the way, I would really appreciate if you post the name of the agency you used if you are satisfied with your experience, so that other travelers could use your advice too. Thanks!

Answered: Will a tourist letter be needed?

Thu, 03/28/2019 - 07:25
You have an option to ask your wife's parents to make a private invitation, but that takes a long time to process and you'll probably need the original posted to you. So if you want to save time, they can simply get the tourist invitation. Then they can also stay at your wife's parents apartment. Your wife's parents will need to register their visas (at any post office with the passports of the guests) if they are in Russia for more than 7 working days. That's it.

Answered: Which type of visas will my children need?

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 04:34
You need to get tourist visas for your children. As US citizens they may be able to get a 3-year visa, so just get the invitation on for 30 days and then apply for a 3-year visa. This should work.

Answered: Visa support/invitation document when visiting more cities than on the form

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 04:33
This is not a problem at all. Just list the first 5 cities and you're done!

Answered: Can I use the Bar and Restaurant car from 3rd class

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 04:32
Yes, sure you can! The food is about €5 per meal, €1 per beer. You can also buy food outside at the stations from the people who sell their home-made stuff — especially good if you travel the Trans-Siberian!

Best way to travel to Altai from Novosibirski

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 04:31
Hey guys, I am coming to Novosibirski on April and I need a tour guide or a local tour company to settle a 3-day trip to Altai. Can you help me?

Bus timetable from Sergiev Posad to Pereslavl-Zalessky

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 04:31
I'm looking for a bus timetable from Sergiev Posad to Pereslavl-Zalessky.
Do I need to buy those tickets in advance?

Best Russian SIM Card with internet traffic - buying at the airport upon arrival?

Wed, 03/20/2019 - 04:31
I saw there's lots of SIM cards on sale when you arrive to Moscow airport. What's the best Russian SIM card to get if I need lots of internet traffic included?

Answered: Do I need a single or double entry visa to travel between two locations in Russia?

Sun, 08/26/2018 - 16:46
No, of course you need a single entry tourist visa then. A double entry visa is needed if you're traveling outside of Russia to one of the former USSR (CIS) states.

Answered: Can I apply as a US or UK citizen for a Russian tourist visa from the Czech Republic?

Sun, 08/26/2018 - 16:42
I think you should apply as a UK citizen because that regulation they're talking about is not valid. The consulate only needs your residence permit if you're not an EU citizen.

Answered: I filled in the visa invitation form, but the site would not accept the date I entered for first entry into Russia.

Sun, 08/26/2018 - 16:41
Probably the error was that you were applying for double entry and something was not working.

Answered: Does a FAN ID holder need a registration after July 25 until the end of the year?

Sun, 08/26/2018 - 16:39

So in fact it's not clear whether they also prolonged that regulation. If I were you I'd register, as it's not too complicated and you'll avoid troubles. Remember you only need it if you stay more than 7 working days in Russia.

Answered: Visa support

Sun, 08/26/2018 - 16:33
The visa support document is valid for the time span that's specified on it. The other thing is that you can issue a tourist visa support not earlier than 90 days before the travel date and the business visa support can sometimes be issued earlier. A tourist visa support is valid for trips for up to 1 month, while business visa support can be valid for 12 months (staying maximum 90 out of every 180 days). For the US citizens a tourist visa support can get them a 3-year visa.

Answered: what do i need and where do i go for a travel visa to russia?

Sun, 08/26/2018 - 16:31
Well, the easiest way is to get your visa support documents on — this page also has a step-by-step guide for what you need to do next. Basically, the next day you get your visa support documents, fill out the application form online, then take this and your passport to your local visa center and they'll do the rest for you. You can get your visa even in a few days if needed.

Answered: Will I get the Autumn colours in the last week of Aug ?

Wed, 01/10/2018 - 05:53

The best time to see Autumn colors in Altai is September and first days of October.
Here you can see some Altai photos in 1-9 of October 2016:


Most Recent Articles:

The Best Affordable Hotels in Moscow, Russia

Moderate prices do not exist in Moscow, but here we list the best 3 star hotels, which have a very good connection to the center of Moscow, don't overcharge too much and have a nice infrastructure.

The Best Boutique Hotels in Moscow, Russia

Moscow has several hotels that call themselves "boutique" but not all of them really live up to the standard.

The Best Budget Hotels in Moscow, Russia

There are no really budget hotels in Moscow: some cost less than €100 per night, but are located far from the center.